You have no items in your shopping cart.
Swipe to the left
Indian Mung Dahl (Hare Mung)
22 August 2017 No comments
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil
- 1/4 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-2 dry red chillies (dependent on how hot you want the dish)
- 1/4 tablespoon allspice or Indian garam masala
- 1 cup mung bean dahl (hare mung)
- 1/6 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3-4 cup water (depends on how thick you want it)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar (or equivalent stevia)
- 1/2 tablespoon salt (or less, as per preferred taste)
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 6-10 cashews
- 4-6 raisins
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- Add mustard oil to a wok and wait until hot. Then add cumin seeds, bay leaf, dry whole red chillies, allspice and saute for 15 seconds or until toasted.
- Reduce the heat and add mung dahl, ground cumin, ginger, salt and sugar and saute until all the spices and mung dahl are fried.
- Add water, raisins and cashews. Cook on low for 10-15 minutes or until dahl is soft.
- The curry should have a nice balance of salty, sour, sweet and hot without one flavour dominating over the others.
- Add ghee 30 seconds before finishing and mix in well. Then add fresh coriander as garnish and serve with white rice or Indian chapathi or ruti.